Tea is famous because not only it taste delicious but also packed with many health benefits. In this article we will compare two type of tea which is green tea and herbal tea. Even though both of them are called tea. Herbal tea does not come from the same plant like green tea, black tea, and oolong tea which is camellia sinensis, instead it used a wide variety of ingredients to be made into herbal tea. Herbal tea is basically steeped water of different kind of herbs. Similar to green tea, herbal tea is consumed because it can give many benefit depends on the ingredient it was made of. Here is a brief information about green tea and herbal tea.
Green tea is probably the most famous healthy drink known today. Green tea is made from the leaves of Camellia sinensis plant just like black tea, white tea, and oolong tea, but it does not gone through oxidation process done to black tea and oolong tea. Green tea is made from the variety camellia sinensis sinensis, this variety have smaller leaves and is native to China, aside to be made into green tea this variety also made into white tea. Green tea is processed by quickly heating the leaves by pan frying or steaming and then dried to prevent too much oxidation from occurring which will result in turning the green leaves into brown and alter their taste. Green tea steeped watercolor may range from green to light brown depends on how the leaves was process. Although all green tea comes from the same plant, green tea taste is different from each other. There are several conditions which may affect green tea taste and color, such as the processing method, the cultivation process, when the leaves were plucked, how the plant was pruned, what parts of the plants are plucked and whether the plant was treated with chemical or not. Green tea contains high in tannins which is the main reason why green tea taste bitter. The bitter taste of green tea might be the main reason why some people are not fond of it. (See also : White Tea vs Green Tea)
Herbal tea or sometimes called tisanes is a healthy beverages made from the infusion of various spices and herbs or many other plant material steeped in hot water. Herbal tea is mostly known to have no caffeine. Herbal tea is not like common tea which comes from the Camellia sinensis plant for example, green tea, black tea, white tea, yellow tea and oolong tea nor decaffeinate tea. Herbal tea is commonly made from fresh or dried flowers, leaves, seeds or some roots. Since herbal tea can be made from various ingredients, the benefit of the drink is decided by the ingredients it was made of.
Types and benefit of herbal tea:
1. Passionflower tea, is made from it leaves, stems and flowers. Passionflower is beneficial to relieved anxiety and improve sleeps.
2. Rosehip tea, is made from the fruit of the rose plant. Rose hip tea is beneficial to reduce inflammation and its symptoms including pain.
3. Lemon balm tea, is made from its leaves. Lemon balm tea is beneficial to improved arteries and skin elasticity, also it can improve high blood lipid, mental, mood, and reduced the frequency of heart palpitations and anxiety.
4. Sage tea, is beneficial to improve mood, mental function, and memory. Sage tea also can improved lipid levels and fight the symptoms of colon cancer.
5. Echinacea tea, is beneficial to prevents and shorten the common cold.
6. Hibiscus tea, is made from the flower of hibiscus plant. Hibiscus tea is beneficial to lower high blood pressure.
7. Ginger tea, is beneficial to boost immune system and reduced nausea. Ginger tea is also known to relieve pain and controlling blood sugar and blood lipid levels.
8. Peppermint tea, is the most popular herbal tea. Peppermint tea is beneficial to help digestive tract. It also can be used to relieve pain and relieving the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
9. Chamomile tea, is known for its calming effects and commonly used as a sleep aid. Aside from that chamomile also have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and liver protecting effects. Other studies also suggest that chamomile tea can be used to relieve diarrhea and stomach ulcers.
|Green Tea||Herbal Tea|
|- Is made from camellia sinensis||- Made from different kind of herbs|
|- Contains caffeine||- Typically do not contains caffeine|
|- Contains tannins||- Have no tannins|
|- The leaves is heated and dried||- It can be made with fresh herbs or dried|
Both herbal tea and green tea is equally beneficial if consumed in a moderate way. Other than that herbal tea and green tea might not suitable for some people. For example chamomile herbal tea is not advised to be consumed by people with allergies towards daisies, ragweed, chrysanthemums, or other plant related to it. Rosehip tea contains high vitamin C, which is not advised to be consumed by patient with kidney stones or diabetes. Green tea in the other hand is known to be high in caffeine and can lead into stomach problem and will worsen insomnia. It is wise to carefully search for their information first if you have some health conditions before consuming it.